Great coverage by Cleveland 19 News on the dangerous off-gassing of MDF furniture.
Top 5 Reasons to Buy American Made Solid Wood Furniture
- Durability - Solid wood furniture lasts longer.
- Solid wood furniture can last lifetimes when properly cared for.
- A large percentage of imported furniture is made from Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF). MDF is estimated to last 1/4 to 1/10 as long as solid wood furniture.
- Safety - Solid wood furniture typically has less off gassing.
- Solid wood furniture is typically stained and finished using low Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs).
- MDF is manufactured using formaldehyde resin glue. The formaldehyde can potentially off gas for years.
- Repairable - Scratches can be sanded out of solid wood furniture.
- Simply sand down the scratch, fill, and restain / varnish.
- Better Value – Solid wood furniture is a better long term value.
- Solid wood furniture costs more but will last many times longer than furniture made from MDF.
- Ease of maintenance - Solid wood furniture is easy to maintain by simply wiping it down with a wood cleaner on a regular basis.